Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.

If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

Vanilla 1.0 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

--From Her Royal Grace the Duchess of Simpleton, Captain of the Order of the StarKnights, Captain of the Order of the Angels of Stephen Morris [Steve's Angels], Ambassador of the Goth/New Wave/Punk Rock Movement, Minister of Prayer of the W.M.S. [it's a Clay Aiken thing, long story there! *LOL*], Guardian of the Royal StarKnight Music Box, Resident Viking-wannabe, Resident DJ-in-Training FAC 999, and Resident Oddball of the Order of the Angels of Bernard Sumner [Barney's Angels]--

--To the Order of the Angels of Bernard Sumner [Barney's Angels], the Order of the Angels of Peter Hook [Hooky's Angels], the Order of the Angels of Stephen Morris [Steve's Angels], and all Orders of the Angels and Vikings of Warsaw, Joy Division and New Order--

Dear fellow Angels and Vikings, and the entire community of New Order fans,

It is time to rise up.

Friday came the worst news we could possibly face as a society, as a community of fans, as a family. Our dear Hooky announced the split of New Order after 30 glorious years of merciless joyful noise as a band. The band which began as Warsaw and ended with a legacy had quite an amazing run during those 30 years, which included many projects, notably Electronic, Revenge, The Other Two, Monaco, and the upcoming Freebass. About 12 albums total, 2 'Substance' compilations [one for Joy Division, the other for New Order], and countless compilations, bootlegs, soundtracks, singles, and gigs later, they became a huge influence in the music world while, in the midst of all the copy-cats, being themselves. [We love them that way too.]

While this news came as a huge blow to us, the entire community of New Order/Joy Division/Warsaw fans, and while we as a whole are still somewhat in mourning, we must not be troubled. While this may be the end of, hands down, the greatest band that ever existed, it certainly does NOT mean the end of us. We, the few and brave still standing by our men [and woman and even *cough* our ghost!] even during the first one or two times they split, must not back down. And there is courage in all of this, for the sake of our beloved band[-s], that we show that, rewording the original words of Ian Curtis from 'Atrocity Exhibition'*, behind our eyes we scream 'THEY STILL EXIST!'

As Angels and Vikings and fans alike, we love the band. We love the music. We love the interviews. We love the mischievous moments [like Hooky's classic (and infamous!) 'F**k me, I'm famous!', Barney's first mention of 'Bongo', Steve's recollection of Barney pioneering 'the horizontal guitar-playing position', Gillian hangin' out with a nekkid Tony Wilson in the tub ('New Order: Play At Home'--any and EVERY New Order fan MUST see it), Phil's innocent *NOT* looks, and even Ian's legendary first meeting with Tony Wilson]. We love the gang and just about everything that has to do with 'em. Just because they've stopped playing doesn't mean we have to stop being our adoring selves.

With this I declare a Great Exhortation to all Angels, Vikings and fans: an Exhortation to keep the memory alive. An Exhortation to keep playing the music, to relive the memories not with tears but with laughter. An Exhortation to remember what hearing them for the first time felt like, and to keep that feeling fresh and new. An Exhortation to watch all those YouTubes of the videos and interviews and concerts... and laugh at all the good, funny, quirky moments. An Exhortation to dance like Barney, pretend you're Hooky playing the bass WAAAAAYYY LOOOOWWW [or, like me, pretend you're Hooky DJ'ing like it's nobody's business!], try to drum as good as Steve, admire Gillian's flawless beauty, think Phil is alright as Gillian's replacement, and try to dance as good as Ian [and have a friendly dance-off between him and Barney!]. An Exhortation to keep the dream alive, even when it seems that all has totally been lost.

[continued in next post]
    [continued from first post]

We have the music. We have the memories. We have the laughter. We have the pictures. We have the dreams. We have the tears. And we will always have the hope.

So with this Exhortation, it is time for probably the greatest Revival that New Order has probably never really, erm, taken notice of before. As this mourning passes, it's time to celebrate the band and the legacy--

--Songs to turn up for total sing-along badass karaoke [as in, crank up to 11 and be your own Manchester Idol!]:
    ~ Warsaw, 'The Drawback' [very short song but fun as heck to sing along to!]
    ~ Warsaw, 'No Love Lost' [I MEAN IT! ...er, I mean, 'I NEED IT!']
    ~ Joy Division, 'Transmission' [yes, the ESSENTIAL Joy Division sing-along classic]
    ~ Joy Division, 'Disorder' [try singing it while intoxicated... I dare ya]
    ~ Joy Division, 'She's Lost Control' [I sing this one at work... *grin*]
    ~ Joy Division, 'The Sound of Music' (the BBC Recording) [especially the last verse... 'HIGHER, HIGHER, HIGHER, HIGHER, HIGHER!!' ...yeah, you know you love it! uh-huh]
    ~ Joy Division, 'Atmosphere' [...yes, I do classify this as a sing-along song!]
    ~ New Order, 'Ceremony'
    ~ New Order, 'Procession'
    ~ New Order, 'Everything's Gone Green' [now try singing THIS while intoxicated!!!]
    ~ New Order, 'Confusion' [just scream out 'Confusion!', that's all you really need to do, really]
    ~ New Order, 'Thieves Like Us'
    ~ Any song by any of these bands or their side projects!

--Songs to turn up for total dance-your-ass-off ecstacy [as in, crank up to 11 and get down with your funky self!]:
    ~ Warsaw, 'The Drawback' [do the pogo, y'all]
    ~ Warsaw, 'Novelty' [pure punk rock pleasure!]
    ~ Warsaw, 'As You Said' [funky stuff, really...]
    ~ Joy Division, 'Transmission' [no seriously, if I can dance to it then so can you! UP TO IT!! DANCE TO THE RADIO!!!]
    ~ Joy Division, 'Day of the Lords' [yes, it IS possible to attempt to dancing to this song]
    ~ Joy Division, 'She's Lost Control' [any version will do!]
    ` Joy Division, 'Shadowplay' [hee...]
    ~ Joy Division, 'Komakino' [seriously... it's danceable... honest...!]
    ~ Joy Division, 'Love Will Tear Us Apart' [the single version... y'know, the one with the video... yeah, that one!]
    ~ New Order, 'Ceremony'
    ~ New Order, 'Cries and Whispers'
    ~ New Order, 'Procession'
    ~ New Order, 'Everything's Gone Green'
    ~ New Order, 'Temptation'
    ~ New Order, 'The Perfect Kiss' [THE ULTIMATE DANCING SONG!! END OF!!]
    ~ Any song by any of these bands or their side projects!

With this I pray that this time of mourning will pass VERY QUICKLY so we can resume normality in our own finest and most insane order.

Highest regards,

~ Jennifer ['Sunshine']

P.S. I created an official memorial banner for the cause. Originally the picture was for other banners during the time of Ian's birthday in July, but since this came about prematurely...

The URL: i158.photobucket.com/albums/t90/starknight1sun/memoriam_wjdno.png

Feel free to post this banner up on your MySpace/Multiply/MyYearbook/New Order Angels/Vikings/website.

*[from the Joy Division album 'Closer'; original line 'Behind his eyes he says "I still exist".']
    Oh and, P.S. #2: While this was typed in a sort of mockery to the 'official' declarations and decrees and stuff, about 95% of this should be taken LIGHTHEARTEDLY! I kinda outdid myself this time, really. Just get a good laugh out of it.

Though I do suggest the karaoke and dancing bits though. Fun times. And the banner.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJen
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2007

Sunny, I like the Smiths' reference in the banner :-)
    ^_^ Heh, FINALLY there's some life in here. It was getting a wee bit lonely...

[And yeah, that's my all-time favorite Smiths song too!]
    •  
      CommentAuthorJen

Yeah, only Morrissey can make getting hit by a bus sound so pleasant :-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorJen

Do these last few comments look weird to anyone else or is it just me? It has been a long day lol
    No, you're right actually. They HAVE been looking a bit, erm, odd. I wouldn't have half a clue how THAT happened, honestly. But it DOES look weird. *nods*
    In fact, I see the top half of my drummer in, erm, a meeeeeeeeeere little straight line.................... *blinks*
    •  
      CommentAuthorJen

Sunny, have you been up to something on here? ;-)
    It consists of anti-boredom, a wacky revival-esque humor piece in which, while it's a bit of an eulogy, it's a funny call-to-arms. Complete with quirky fancy titles and whatnot. *LOL* Something Steve could probably laugh his a*s off over.

EDITED TO ADD: Thanks for reminding me to rotate my Ian banner for the week too!
    •  
      CommentAuthorJen

You're such a bad girl ;-) But I'll give you a pass since you made the myspace page so pretty! Thanks!!!
    *LOL* I had been having some rather tough times throughout these past couple of weeks. Something had to give, really. It was either laugh or cry, and I chose to play drama queen. ;-)
    • CommentAuthorJanaT
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2008

"While this was typed in a sort of mockery to the 'official' declarations and decrees and stuff, about 95% of this should be taken LIGHTHEARTEDLY!"

"only Morrissey can make getting hit by a bus sound so pleasant"

Sunny and Jen...ROFL!
    • CommentAuthorJanaT

"this should be taken LIGHTHEARTEDLY"

I took just like that! LOL!
    Wow, this thread looks strange. New Order will never die!!!!!!!!!!
    • CommentAuthorJanaT

I still believe that it's possible... they will come back...someday.
    •  
      CommentAuthordocterjoy
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2008 edited

For me NO is always alive since I listen to their music at least 5 times a day...but I hope they will be back in concert since I was only a baby when they were still touring.
    ...LMFAO!! Somehow, this thread STILL looks out of normal!!
    YEAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I FIXED THE [very second] POST AND FIXED THIS THREAD!!! *does the happy dance!!*
    • CommentAuthorJanaT
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2008

• CommentAuthorJanaT
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2008 edited

(the happy dance)!
    I kinda thought it looked cool the other way though. Unique looking for a special thread.
    •  
      CommentAuthordocterjoy
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2008

It looks more organized now and easier to read. But for New Order songs don't forget other great NO songs like True Faith, blue Monday, BLT, and Regret!