Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.

If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

Vanilla 1.0 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorSteve
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2008

My name is Steve. I had been searching for a newsgroup like this for awhile. Many of my college buddies have scattered about since 1989, and I'm now living in an area where Country music rules. It's funny because when I'm out with my work buddies, they are dressed very country, and I'm dressed much more urban and trendy. They're like...haven't they heard of country music back in Philadelphia?

So, hopefully there will be some cool discussions on here, so my friends get a breather from me trying to force New Wave, Alternative, and Synth-Pop music on them. :face-smile: Have a great nite!

"It's so hard to get old without a cause
    I dont want to perish like a fading horse
    Youth is like diamonds in the sun
    And diamonds are forever"
    •  
      CommentAuthorJen

Country music is very popular here (Ohio) too. We have a big variety of radio stations here but country music always does best.

We're glad to have you here Steve. We need more men here!
    • CommentAuthorSteve

Thanks, Jenn. At first glance, I was thinking..."hmmm, from the colors of this site, they're not going to want a guy on here." Then, I figured, "The worst they could do is boot me off, what the heck." Thanks again! I'll mostly be on here in the evenings, unless I'm off that day. Best.
    Hi Steve! As long as you like Ultravox and Alphaville, you're okay by me! lol Welcome to the forum! I know what it is like to have no one to talk music with. I live in a rural part of NY about a mile outside of NYC. The people here have no idea who New Order are or any other group I listen to. It is very strange that we are so close to the city yet these people have no idea there is a whole world full of music out there besides the mainstream stuff.
    • CommentAuthorSteve
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2008

Thanks Liz. LOl (you recognized the Alphaville lyric...that's funny). Well, I'm thru with my work-week. Yippeee. We had a stolen car chase today. The guy bailed out into DC and was nabbed. A great way to end the week. Now, for the fun...I have an 80's mix cranked-up real loud. It's a 12" remix mix.

1. Baby I love you so (Colourbox)
    2. My Ever Changing Moods (Style Council)
    3. Human (Human League)
    4. Situation (Yaz)
    5. Lies (Thompson Twins)
    6. War (Hidden) - (FGTH)
    7. A Girl In Trouble (Romeo Void)
    8. Tained Love (Soft Cell)
    9. True Faith (Morning Sun Remix) - (NO)
    10. Desire (Gene Loves Jezebel)
    • CommentAuthorJanaT
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2008 edited

Welcome, Steve! Synth-Pop rules here (N.O. is the best of S.P.). This is a nice place and people are very friendly. Enjoy! :face-smile:
    •  
      CommentAuthorJen

No, Steve, we love having guys here. I know there are more...they're hiding from us! :face-crying:

:face-smile:
    •  
      CommentAuthordocterjoy

Welcome! I like SP and 80s music but I also listen to a lot of rock and metal.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJen

I love Gene Loves Jezebel. Anyone else like Jesus and Mary Chain?
    • CommentAuthorSteve

Yes. "The Hardest Walk" was something I played on my college radio station.....a long time ago. I had this two hour spot on Sunday nights. I'd play something like that or The Cult or Mission U.K., and then I'd play Pop Goes The World by Men Without Hats. People would call the station and go "What are you doin' up there?"
    • CommentAuthorOjox
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2008

• CommentAuthorSteve

Grazie, Ojox. That's exactly how I feel about music. Some of my favorite artists are Eros Ramazzotti, Claudio Baglioni, and Laura Pausini. But, I have a very limited knowledge of the Italian (and Spanish for that matter) language. But, my emotions don't seem to know the difference when I listen to Tra tel e il mare (Entre tu y mil mares), Vivimi (Viveme), Una Storia Che Vale (Dos historias iguales), etc.

I have friends from Spain, Venezuela, Peru, Brazil, Bollivia, Argentina and most of Central America. So, I make them bring me music whenever they go home. My cousins live in Venezuela, so I go there from time-to-time to visit and I bring back all sorts of stuff to listen-to. It comes in handy when the music 'round here goes Vanilla for awhile.

Sometimes, not knowing the translation opens up an entirely different form of understanding. Sort of like listening to Rachmaninov.....who knows what was going through his mind?
    •  
      CommentAuthordocterjoy

In my French class we lhad pen pals. Mine was a girl just like me and she liked the same American/British music as I did.

Just cursious, does anyone like the Cocteau Twins?
    I do, dj. I love Liz Fraser's voice. I also like the music she did with Massive Attack.
    • CommentAuthorSteve

That Massive Attack song "Angel" is very good (very brooding). I hadn't heard it till about 6 months ago.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJen

I like them too, DJ
    Steve, I absofreckin'lutely <3 Massive Attack. "Mezzanine" is a class album right there.

Oh and, Benvenuto alla Camera felice, Steve! :) ^_^

~ The OTHER Jenn. Not to be confused with Jen, who posted above me. *grins and waves to Jen*
    • CommentAuthorSteve

Grazie Mille!

The Happy Room, huh? I like that!!:face-smile:

I never heard the entire Mezzanine album. I'll have to find that. I only know a few songs of theirs.
    I recommend it. Liz Fraser did vocals on "Teardrop", "Black Milk", and [I think] on "Group Four." Her voice is just... *sigh*

And not a problem! I was thinking more of "The Happy House", particularly after the name of a Siouxsie and the Banshees song. One of my favorites too!

I'm the resident oddball/goth/punk-rock girl that's addicted to Sailormoon, music, and tuning people in to stuff that they've probably never heard before.
    • CommentAuthorSteve

Punk rock girl.....as in.....you like the Dead Milkmen? (Big Lizard In My Backyard).
    They're pretty good too! I'm more a fan of the Clash. :)
    • CommentAuthorAdriana

Welcome, Steve!!!!

Benvenuto!!!!!!
    • CommentAuthorSteve

Ciao Adriana! Grazie.

In case you missed it....I'm having a peak experience while we speak. Just downloaded the latest "child" from Mick Jones. It's unreal. Sono felice!!
    *w00t!* I'm catching all the latest in the music thread. :)
    As I stated on the music thread, I think my laptop is gonna melt soon. Whole lotta downloads goin' on! :face-smile:
    •  
      CommentAuthorwebstercat
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2008

Good lord!!!

I don't look a the site for a few days, and when I come on, we have not 1 but 2 new MALE members!!! Fabulous!!!!

Welcome Steve, and enjoy the site!!
    • CommentAuthorSteve
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2008

Thanks Sharon!
    •  
      CommentAuthorneworder
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2008

Hellooooo
    Glad to hear from members on the site that are male....(it's not that I dislike female members...it's just, I think male Barney fans are lurking somewhere, but seem to be on NOOL or some other site than this one.)
    :face-angel:
    • CommentAuthorSteve
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2008

Eimi, I noticed you liked Kevin Spacey.....did you like the film K-Pax? That was my favourite by him.