Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.

If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

Vanilla 1.0 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAlison
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2008

We've talked about the new Last FM, but has anyone else tried out the new Facebook yet and if so, what do you think of it?

I've been trying it tonight and it's very different to the old one. From what I've tried so far, I think that the Wall tab is a bit messy, but I think the idea of having tabs for the applications may work.

In case you haven't tried it for yourself yet here's how I got onto it:

Go to the Profile Preview page.

Click on the New Facebook link and you will automatically be transferred to the new design.

I also found it quite slow. I'll have another play around with it tomorrow. Hopefully I'll get used to it.:face-plain:
    It's bugging me because if I want to look at my profile, my internet browser says the page isn't available. It does it everytimes. Stupid Facebook sometimes! But I don't want to cancel my account because of London Cafe but also because of Cherub and my Three Fantastic Wombats Mates.:face-angel: and also because Liz and Jenn are often over there.
    I don't really like Facebook too much because I find it strange. I am trying to use it more often to become familiar with it, but I prefer MySpace.
    I prefer Myspace to Facebook too.
    •  
      CommentAuthordocterjoy
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2008

I don't like facebook, I was brutally bullied there. :face-plain:
    • CommentAuthormari
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2008

^^:face-sad: I'm sorry that happened to you, dj, the internet can make people pretty cruel sometimes! That's what I like about this place, one of the few on the net where we just get along great and can have fun together.

I deleted my facebook account a while ago. It doesn't really have any use for me, I already have a myspace account (which I barely check either) and last.fm, which I'm crazy about. Oh and Hyves, a Dutch version of myspace, had that for a while too.. just to check each page every day seemed such a waste of time!
    I didn't like facebook because it collects data on you for commercial reasons, the same thing which is now pissing me off about last.fm!
    I remember two girls were gossiping on me only by visiting my Myspace page or what I was saying on others forums. I once read comments one of the girls left on the other girl's Myspace page and one of the comments said I wanted to kill myself because a guy I was in love with has a girlfriend and they were expecting a baby. o_O. and that I was a total twat and fangirl. I understood that these two girls were just very jealous of me and my best mate because we host a radio show and we often meet UK indie artists. One of the girls apologised to me but I stopped to talk to her afterwards. The other girl, I hate her with a such a passion. Both used to be good friends of mine.

I left many forums in the last months like Editors forum because almost all people over there are losers and many people are very mean over there and hostile. It's sad because I'm huge Editors fan but the forum is a real shame. My best mate stopped posting over there as well. I kind of stopped posting on Franz Ferdinand forum because a lot of the girls on there are very pathetic and pessimist. The NO forum , I stopped posting because I don't feel at ease except on the french forum where the guys were more kind. The Keane forum, I asked to have my account deleted because I couldn't stand many people over there. Some girls were very scary, obsessed about the band members and I used to be harrassed by a person with whom I've had a little love affair. When I told it to one of the administrators, she laughed at my face and told me it was all my fault. The Treadaways forum has been closed earlier this year so that's sad cos all the girls were all very nice.

So the only forums where I'm posting are this one, The Wombats' official forum and a forum dedicated to British music created by one of London Cafe's listeners.

I feel very at ease on this forum. I feel at my place. :face-smile:
    •  
      CommentAuthordocterjoy

Yes, people have been mean on the internet but can get away with it since it's not face to face. I've been a member of two anime forums that are ok but some people can be pretty mean and rude.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAlison

Genie and DJ, that must have been terrible for you :face-sad:It's so nice to come here to a friendly place!:face-angel:

Now that I use my MySpace more I prefer it to Facebook (I like the design better plus writing a blog is fun). However I'll be keeping my Facebook as well as I stay in touch with several old friends through it.
    I don't really understand the point of Facebook. You don't get the fun of decorating it (or at least I don't know how to do it! LOL) and I don't like that everyone knows their friends business. If someone removes themselves from a group, I get a little note about it and the same thing happens vice-versa. At least on MySpace, you can delete people or groups and such and no one knows about it but you. You can keep things private, or not, as you see fit. Facebook just seems like a bunch of little applications with some personal info thrown in. JMO

As I've posted before, sometimes anonymity brings out the worst in people and they become bold behing a keyboard. I belong to forums, but I lurk. I rarely post. Today I got my 70th post on NOOL. I have more posts on the blur forum because I play some of the games. But I guess I feel so uncomfortable about being the oldest (usually), I don't post.

ETA- Do new threads really open up when you reach a certain number of posts on NOOL? I just started a song name game on the "Behind Closed Doors" thread to rake up some posts. It worked for me on the Blur forum. I've reached over 200 posts in a few weeks playing games.
    • CommentAuthormari

there's the weeding forum on NOOL, that one opens up after you reach a certain number of posts. 100 or 150, I think.
    A thing I don't like on Facebook is that some people write very personal information about themselves like their home phone number or mobile phone number. These kind of information shouldn't be included in people profile.

When someone totally unknown to me is sending me a friend request because he or she is friends with one of my friends...I DON'T GIVE A SH*T (sorry for my language btw)! I ignore this person because I don't know if this person is nice or not.

Liz: When you delete a friend on Facebook, this person isn't supposed to know about it. The same thing goes for Myspace.:face-smile: and there is a way to avoid your friends to see what groups you joined/left.:face-smile:
    Well, yesterday I got a new feed that you left a group and I gots some from other friends that they left groups. I hope that doesn't happen if you delete a friend because that would be awkward.
    •  
      CommentAuthornataliet

I feel the same way about Facebook- I just joined up because my cousin got me to. I don't really get it, and i haven't even tried MySpace or anything.I have like two friends, don't be jealous, girls!
    It does seem like people are mean in the online forums. This is actually the only forum I've posted on because of that. I'm kind of leery of getting too much into Facebook or MySpace because I teach at a community college in a really small town and I don't really want students seeing that I have a profile. When I first set up my account, I put in some information about where I worked and some names of people at my college came up. I wasn't really comfortable with that, so i took the information off. I don't have anything on there anyway, but I don't know. It just seems weird. Besides, I might want to post some half nekkid Barney pics on there sometime:face-smile:
    I almost started to blog on "Blogger". I did three posts and then found myself after doing a Google search and turned around and deleted all three blog posts because it freaked me out. I think you have to be a certain type of person to enjoy putting yourself "out there". My MySpace has a little info about me, but it's mainly all pictures of Damon and Barney and videos. I don't know of any adult that I interact with in my neighborhood that has a MySpace account and I only know one on Facebook. Everyone is either an internet friend or a band. I am living in a fairly conservative straight-laced town and I don't think people would understand around here. No one knows I am on Facebook or MySpace.

I don't blame you for not wanting to put yourself out there in your position, Natalie. When I taught years ago I didn't even list my number in the phone book.
    I've never mentioned my working place on Myspace and Facebook. The only thing I mentioned is the radio station.

And I'm tired NO pissed off of all these girls using a "pin up" pic on their profile. It's a real shame acting that way.:face-plain:
    •  
      CommentAuthornataliet
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2008

What pin up? Is this on Facebook or Myspace?
    Both.:face-plain:
    • CommentAuthormari

there was even a group on myspace called something like "I don't show my boobs in my profile pic" :D
    Haha! I should join this group then.:face-smile:
    Mari, off topic, but I finally got over 100 posts and have the weeding thread. The directions gave me a migraine. So I see something I want, find the next person who is obligated to share it and ask them for it? Then I have to offer it and share with 2 people? Man, where did I leave the Vicodin the dentist gave me last week! LOL
    • CommentAuthormari

yes, that's the idea :D
    I never bothered posting online how many people I'd shared with already.. so then people keep mailing you:face-plain:
    •  
      CommentAuthordocterjoy
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2008

I wish there was a better website to keep in touch with friends, I have a lot and we switch schools a lot so I'm out of touch with many. It's really sad too because I was really good friends with them and don't want to forget about them.