Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.

If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

Vanilla 1.0 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnnmuin
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2008

I was just curious what people think. My favorite overlooked gem would have to be Angel Dust from the Brotherhood album because in some ways, it anticipated the music on Technique.
    •  
      CommentAuthordocterjoy
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2008

Yes, that's a great song. I think there's a lot of great underrated songs since I like to listen to lesser known songs of groups. Here's a few:

Guilty Partner (the guitar is great)
    Avalanche (another great instrumental)
    Everyone Everywhere (The lyrics and bridge to this song are great)
    5 8 6 (This is like an early Blue Monday)
    Turn My Way (with Billy Corgan!)
    All Day Long (after the verses this song gets amazing)
    •  
      CommentAuthornataliet
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2008

That's a great idea for a thread, Ann!
    I love Angel Dust too.
    I have three favorites to add.
    Face Up is one of my very favorites, it has everything in it that I'd look for in the quintessential New Order song- dance beats, strong Hooky bass lines, and classic Barney lyrics, complete with plenty of whoops. Also, the guitar scales toward the end are beautiful.
    Hurt is another one-love the electro/melodica. Also, the fact that you can see BS perform it shirtless on Youtube isn't too bad, either :face-smile:
    Also, Dream Attack- just a beautiful song.
    • CommentAuthorKrafty
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2010

You Tube has Hooky playing The Happy One without the others. I agree with Nataliet this is an interesting thread. However by the number of responses I can see that it is also one of those too hard to answer questions. New Order have such a vast catalogue of material and as agroup they are so many different things to so many different people. All songs mentioned aren't nessesarialy underated but perhaps less raved about. I will ponder this question for some time and perhaps I always have done . Thank you Annmuin genius is sometimes when you put the simplist idea into words. That's why we have ALL joined this site.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAlison
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2010

I agree, it's a very difficult question to answer. There are just so many!
    •  
      CommentAuthorJen
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2010

This is a hard question! Guilty Partner is the first one that comes to my mind. The music is awesome and has lots of atmosphere. It is also very well written and since Bernard has been accused of being a bad song writer by some, I'm surprised it's so overlooked.
    • CommentAuthorAnnmuin
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2010

I am just so glad to see this thread come alive! I agree that that New Order have a massive canon of great songs.
    Another one of my favorites, two of them actually, are Loveless and Mr.Disco. They are a little overshadowed by the hits on that album. Why they were never made into singles, I will never understand. An embarassment of riches, I suppose.
    • CommentAuthorKrafty
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2010

I'm a fan of Sabotage. I've got it on my 60 Miles an Hour CD. It has a cool live Tempation on it too. The cover has the girl from Get Ready playing with her hair.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJen
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2010

Loveless is one of my favorites too. That whole album is amazing.
    • CommentAuthorKrafty
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2010

I Know what the most underated song is. :face-smile:It is always the one you have just listened to.
    • CommentAuthorKrafty
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2010

This week's contenders are;
    All the Way - Track 2 from Technique and
    Lonesome Tonight - B side to Thieves Like Us

see you next week
    •  
      CommentAuthornataliet

3.Hurt
    Angel Dust
    Face Up--I have no clue why this wasn't a single. It has all the elements of a classic NO track.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJen

Face Up has always been one of my favorites.