Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.

If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

Vanilla 1.0 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorJen
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2009 edited

Barney says music is boring.
    I can't say he's wrong, Barney has a point.

It's so hard to find good musicians these days, we miss the 80's and 90's musically...I wish we could turn back time!!!

:face-sad:
    •  
      CommentAuthorAlison
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2009

I agree, Ginger. I'm sure there's still some good new music out there but it's very difficult to find it as the bad stuff seems to be popular.
    •  
      CommentAuthordocterjoy

That's right, I was listening to a show on a radio station playing some new music and even though the 80s revival is popular, it's just not as good. There are a few new bands that are very good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJen

Same here. There are very few current bands I enjoy. Overall, music is in a major slump and has been for a while now.
    •  
      CommentAuthornataliet
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2009

How true! I thought it was just cause I'm old... it's nice to see a youngster agree- thanks DJ!
    • CommentAuthormari
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2009

There's plenty of good and original bands around, the problem is that big labels won't give them the promotion the same way they would in the 80s or earlier. So you have to find them in different ways, mainly through the internet (last.fm, myspace..) Also, these bands don't get the same chances (money for tours, to record albums) to develop and mature.
    And that's pretty much what Barney's saying too: it's the industry!

coincidence, radiohead's managers have announced today they're starting a label, which will allow artists to keep their copyright. Where have I heard this before? Way to go :)
    http://www.nme.com/news/radiohead/45856

(end rant)
    •  
      CommentAuthorJen
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2009

I read that about Radiohead. You're probably right, Mari...there are good bands out there....just hard to find. Girls, maybe we need to start a record label!
    Barney had it right, that good ol' chap. And it's good that we're all on the same page. So while I'm on it, here's my 2-cents' whim. Personally, I don't really care about mainstream radio in this day and age. With the exception of some bands like R.E.M., Pearl Jam and Train [preferably their first album though], I hardly have much tolerance for mainstream stuff. To me, and quoting Aerosmith, "it's the same old song and dance, my friend." My fave radio station does talk during much of the week, and when it's music, it's all old-school alternative. Much of the 80's, some 70's Bowie, a few early 90's stuff. And occasionally an indie tune or two...
    I agree with him...a lot of my fave bands are older bands that have been around for a while, or bands that are no longer making music (disbanded bands). There are a few newer bands I enjoy, but they are outnumbered by the older bands. A lot of times, I can find better music by indie artists (for example, some of the people on NOOL who make music) than what's on a mainstream music outlet.
    I spend most of my time listening to older music or the indie/unsigned artist channel (26) on Sirius radio. I'm much happier that way.
    Me to, i also listen to 80's-90's music. However, thnx to miss Genie i discovered a few recent good bands. So yeah most are crappy but there are some angles out there. Myspace is a great place to find new good musicians. I don't listen to the radio anymore, not even internet radio, mostly youtube and my ipod. :face-angel:
    •  
      CommentAuthorJen
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2009

Yeah, Genie is my new music queen. lol
    • CommentAuthorAnnmuin
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2009

I admit I don't keep up with new music as much as I used to. I kind of feel sorry for today's kids because they don't realize they are being fed homogenized crap.

Even they are looking to the past, I hear alot of teens tell me that they learned about some old song from Guitar Hero or Rock Band.