Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.

If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

Vanilla 1.0 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAdriana
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2009

Giant shark rammed my boat off west cost of Scotland, says New Order star Bernard Sumner

Oct 2 2009 By Rick Fulton

JOY Division and New Order star Bernard Sumner has told how a "giant shark" rammed his yacht off the coast of Scotland.

The rocker said: "It actually happened. I had a collision with a 30-foot shark. The boat nearly sank and there was a big imprint of a huge shark in the paint on its bottom."

The drama happened off the west coast in August as Bernard, a keen sailor, headed for the isle of Barra with his family on board.

He told US magazine Interview: "There was this God-almighty crash, like I'd hit rocks.

"I checked the charts and there were no rocks, so I called the Coastguard and he said other boats that had been up there that morning had reported six large sharks in that part of the sea.

"My family were in bed so I'm pulling the floorboards up every 10 minutes to see if we'd taken on water."

Bernard, 53, who made it to Barra, said it was his "hairiest moment" in 25 years of sailing.

:face-sad:
    •  
      CommentAuthorAlison
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2009

That must have been absolutely terrifying. I'm glad everyone was OK!
    •  
      CommentAuthorJen
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2009

Scary! Glad they were all okay. Yikes! I love water but sharks are really scary.
    •  
      CommentAuthornataliet
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2009

I was shocked to read this too- I wonder if it was one of those big basking sharks? (Biology nerd alert) I think their range is up in that area & the size is right...
    I love the ocean too, and being out at sea is an amazing experience. It's always made me extra nosy about Barney's yachting stories. If I ever got the chance to meet him I'd probably waste the whole time asking him about his boat!:face-smile:
    •  
      CommentAuthordocterjoy
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2009

Well, I'm glad Barney is safe! Also, I didn't know he was into sailing. :face-smile:
    What a terrifying experience...thank god he's with us:face-smile: