Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.

If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

Vanilla 1.0 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

So first of all hi! I am from the U.S and a heterosexual male that is just a big fan of JD/NO and happens to dig Bernard's style!! Just finished reading Confusion and enjoyed and found out about this website from here and figured this would be the place to ask, sorry if it is not! OK so I am looking for a new look and since I start school soon I really need a haircut and since I really dig Bernard's hair in the 1980's I'm really down to try that look! but where to start? Of course my hair is not identical to his as mine is thick compared to his(more like ian curtises') and black so i will scratch off the dye part(i actually didn't know he dyed his hair till i searched here though his hair did catch my attention to how it had a different color in the jetstream vid. Anyway, I think I'm confident I can make it work but where to start?!

Nevertheless i'm planning a trip to supercuts soon but how should I instruct them to cut it? Longer on top, short on the sides and in the back and extremely short on the edges? I'm particularly looking for the look in the pumped full of drugs tokyo concert
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vPt8LnkQ3g

Is there a particular name to it? Or am I better off take a picture? If so, anybody happen to have a still of that tour that might work just fine? Second of all, does he use anything to style it or does he just brush it back with his hand as seen in a couple of videos? I was thinking he uses a bit of moose as it is the 80's but does anybody know for sure? I'm sure I could get a similar look with one of the axe hairstyling pomades though. Anyway if anybody could help me I would really appreciate it, thanks!!

for future reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vPt8LnkQ3g
    PFD Tokyo Performance of Love Vigilantes. Thanks!!
    • CommentAuthorKrafty
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2010

Welcome Rasberry

Goodluck with the hair cut. I remember the hair product was called "Gell." It got bad press in the film, "Something about Mary." You have the right attitude for an 80's hair stlye because it was a big feature as I recall. TV shows like "Friend"s send it up well as you could never be too over the top. The Britsh cook Gordon Ramsey has a style still stuck in the 80's especially the frosting (lightning colour added in the front)- not good. I wouldn't think you need product as the cut should be enough. Take a photo in because it can only help.
    Has it been confirmed Barney used that exact "gell" product? anyway doubt i could get ahold of it, googled it with no luck. But as you said thats probably the least important and the haircut should be enough. now to look for a good close up with a similar look to that video... p.s: does he get the back rounded or squared?

and i was thinking that haircut does not work out I'm positive I could rock a more up to date one such as the one in the sub sub this time im not wrong video and the jetstream one. seems to be the same haircut type just shorter on top and gelled down.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJen
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2010

Welcome! This is the right place to ask this because other sites (I won't name names!) might not appreciate Bernard's hair the way we do around here. ;-) He had some great hair in the 80s!

I would definitely take a picture or two to the salon. If you were in the U.K. you could probably ask for the Bernard and be okay! I did a search and came up empty on his hair products, too. I did find out that Ian Curtis would ask the salon to cut his hair like a Roman emperor though. LOL!

I was looking through pictures to see if Bernard wore it rounded in the back or squared off...it's hard to tell but I think it was more squared off. I think that is a good haircut because you could easily style it more modern when you feel like it.

Let us know if you get the cut!
    • CommentAuthorKrafty
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2010

Rasberry I meant to add thanks for the link. WHAT is the name of the instrument BS plays? I knew he used it on "Your silent face," are there other songs too?
    the melodica?

speaking of, just ordered that exact same one "the hohner melodica soprano" on ebay. got it for about 41$ shipped plus 7$ for a new mouthpiece.

he plays it in run wild too and a joy division song, i think it was novelties or decades.

my favorite is the as it is when it was peformance from that tokyo show.

And I found perfect closeups, not in the best quality but anybody how to get stills from this video??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGbr32Hn3bo&feature=related

at 1:47 and 3:17 there is a good 2d and profile view that i'm sure the barber will find useful
    •  
      CommentAuthorJen
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2010 edited

I am sure someone else will have a slicker way to get stills but could you pause it, take a screen shot, then print the screen shots?
    • CommentAuthorKrafty
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2010

The Melodica - of cause! Doh, thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthornataliet

welcome, Rasberry! And I commend you on your choice of haircut. Barney's hair circa 1985 is some of his finest. But don't use the gel in Something About Mary, LOL!
    •  
      CommentAuthornataliet

WTF! I am now the owner of a melodica too! I just mentioned to hubby that lots of BAs have got them and he pulls the exact hohner melodica soprano out of the closet!! he said he was waiting for the right time to surprise me. Then he said "so that's why they bid up so high on ebay." Props for my man!!!!
    yup ^ still havent received it yet but will be attempting to trying to learn it once i do! i've googled for some tabs and I didnt manage to win the one that included the music books with it so i will have to do some research. sadly i couldnt find any about playing new order songs so i guess i will have to look at some love vigilante performances/silent face and attempt to figure them out, althought juding from recent performances bernard now uses the one that more closely resembles a piano. (black/white)

as for the haircut i look to getting it today, hopefully it comes out as planned!
    •  
      CommentAuthornataliet
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2010

Mine didn't come with instructions--and I can't read music, or really play any instruments...:face-plain:
    BUT, I I've figured out the first part to Your Silent Face already. It wasn't too hard, I just pressed keys until the notes sounded right. I guess that's a benefit of having so many NO songs etched into my brain.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJen
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2010

Am I going to have to get a melodica? LOL. It can be my first instrument. I can't play a damn thing!
    •  
      CommentAuthornataliet
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2010

Get one, Jen! It's been fun to play, not that hard. Now we need to compile a list of melodica songs to learn.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJen
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2010

We could make a CD! I don't know who would buy it but still! LOL
    hi. so i havent gotten the haircut yet cause i havent gotten around to it bust most likely will tomorrow.
    i got my melodica and an stuggling to figure out how to play love vigilantes or even your silent face :( cant figure it out by the closeups in live performances.

anywya i found out new order plays the melodica in more than just the 3 songs stated above!

according to this article http://www.joydiv.org/eqpt.htm
    they also play it on truth,hurt,angel dust, and apparently fine time???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ajtp7tPee1A

a video of barney played the melodica on 'truth' performance

quoted from the article:
    "According to themselves, New Order "inherited the melodica from Ian" and not only used it on In A Lonely Place, they would use it on many songs recorded from then on: Truth, Hurt, Your Silent Face, Love Vigilantes, Angel Dust, Fine Time and Run Wild, and of course their Keith Hudson cover Turn The Heater On (which they recorded for a John Peel radio session as a tribute to Curtis - who had been a huge fan of reggae legend Hudson) all feature Curtis' melodica."

let me know how you've been playing your silent face nataliet pretty please!
    can also confirm on "hurt"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRu5CThEmcE

super good closeup of him playing it starting at around 1:10 can easily see which buttons he punches in although he does them quite fast.
    • CommentAuthorKrafty
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2010

Wow wicked research Rasberry.
    •  
      CommentAuthornataliet
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2010

Great song list, Rasberry!
    Okay, for Your Silent Face, this is what I've got. Don't know the names of the notes, can't read music, and don't have the instructions, so I'm referencing keys from their position as if Key # 1 is the major (white) key on the far end of the instrument.
    4444 5 6 6 4 5 6 4 4444 5 6 8, repeat
    the "flutter" at the end is 564
    It seems to sound right when I play along to the song. That's the basic album version on PCL. As far as the variations he does live, I haven't figured that out yet. Haven't figured out Love Vigilantes yet, either.
    Don't forget to post a pic of your hair:face-smile:
    •  
      CommentAuthorJen
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2010

We need to see the hair! :-)

You guys need to post youtubes of yourselves playing the melodica!
    got the haircut! the sides and back are good, but i think she might have just cut the top a bit too short, or maybe its just cause we dont have the same hair type, but at the same time i havent tried styling it yet. If it closely resembles it after i do it for school monday then i will be sure to post some pics! also, great tabs nataliet! sure sounds a bit like it, but cant say fully since I think i havent gotten the rhythm to playing it yet but the notes do sound right. am really dying to know how to play love vigilantes and now hurt! although hurt seems extremely difficult
    •  
      CommentAuthornataliet
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2010

I haven't figured out Love Vigilantes or Hurt yet--but we can figure it out, I'm sure.

About the hair...can't wait to see it!
    Hubby got a nice one, he told the stylist to use the 1.5 fade, and not to take much off the top. Although Barney hair wasn't his goal, it sure didn't hurt. :face-devil-grin:
    •  
      CommentAuthorJen
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2010

Can't wait to see the hair! Did you give the stylist a picture when you got the cut?

Poor Mr. Jen is kinda sorta going bald, so no Barney hair for him. :face-devil-grin:
    • CommentAuthorSalford 3
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2010

Hey, probably a bit late now and maybe you don't live in the UK but I know the woman who used to cut Bernard's hair at Vidal Sassoon on King Street in Manchester. She's still a hairdresser, but over in Yorkshire now. Small world eh.:face-monkey:
    •  
      CommentAuthorJen
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2010

Ah, what a lucky hairdresser! Very small world. Did she tell you if his hair was nice and soft? ;-)
    hehe looks like it was. Having picked up the melodica in a while but still want to figure out love vigilantes!!

and is it just me or is that a melodica playing in the pottsy's version of the village?? now i want to learn that one too if it is? anyone know for sure?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxURRXeu4hE